Monday, November 29, 2010

Final thoughts on The Devil You Know

Well, it wasn't too intellectual but it was kinda fun plus it did have to Google stuff so I give it props for contributing to my data stream.

I really wanted more demonic shenanigans but it was mostly about Felix being hired to exorcise a ghost from the National Archive of Britain. Kind of a fascinating place to set something, enjoyed that bit. Some parts of the story I really liked were his relationships with Cheryl (the Archive computer expert he hooks up with. Alas, their liaison is brief as he ruins her Mom's wedding reception by conjuring the ghost at the Archive in an attempt to find her killer), his roommate and college friend Pen and his other college buddy Rafi who is possessed by the demon Asmodeus. The succubus Ajulutsikael is interesting too although, alas, doesn't seem to have the Google-worthy pedigree Asmodeus does (hey, it was worth a try.) Also, enjoying the way she gruesomely smote the bad guys after Felix cut the silver binding chain.

Urg the damn dog just chewed up the back cover of my brand new Dean Ornish book. What possessed me to think I wanted an animal in the house?


Reminiscent of Butcher's Harry Dresden novels but maybe slightly better. The use of a tin whistle as an exorcism modus vivendi was...I dunno. Unique.  A little hard to get into. Better than holy water and the Latin Mass at any rate. I'd read another one. Another book that doesn't really need first and last lines recorded.

No comments:

Post a Comment