Saturday, April 16, 2011

Final thoughts and first and last for Notes From Underground

I frequently have fantasies of having the financial means to quit my job and then spending my time reading and rarely talking to others. Then I read this book and look at Underground Man and think, maybe that's... not healthy. Granted, he was a self-defeating sad sack and prostitute bully long before he barricaded himself in his apartment and contemplated his bad liver and any slight the world at large had ever visited upon him.

Despite the footnotes, I don't quite understand how his poor ass was able to afford his servant Apollon. Do you suppose they are the Russian Jeeves and Bertie?

I much preferred the narrative of "Apropos of the Wet Snow" (a reference to a frequent literary description for St. Petersburg) to the "Underground" manifesto. I do understand the reason for the order though.

First:

I am a sick man....I am a wicked man.

Last:

However, the "notes" of this paradoxalist do not end here. He could not help himself and went on. But it also seems to us that this may be a good place to stop.

No comments:

Post a Comment