Thursday, April 21, 2011

On IQ tests and other jive

So, someone convinced me recently to get my IQ tested if they paid for it. I took the tests last Saturday and it wasn't that bad actually as the whole process took about 90 minutes. 

The first is the Wonderlic which I just assumed was some convoluted acronym but it's the dude's name. A perfect score is 50. Apparently, they estimate that if your chosen profession is "warehouse", you will score a 14 while an average IQ is 20. I think I did ok at this one but because of the 12 minutes/50 question restriction, I didn't waste much time on anything that started out like, "Sally has 10 apples, Dave has 7.5 apples. How many apples will they have to eat to get to Dayton by 3pm if one of them is on the South Beach Diet?"

The second test was the Mensa Admissions Test. That was longer. Lots of visual reasoning and some more word problems. I ate it on that latter section.  Also, a girl who sat next to me stood up and reached over me for a pencil. Strangers touching and hovering over me--do not want.

During the course of taking these tests and talking to Dennis and Googling, I've learned there are a surprising number of high IQ societies. One called Triple Nine posts its requirements online and I see I'm already too dumb to be a member (they want an ACT score of 32, I got a 28. They want an SAT of 1450, I got 1100-something. Ouch. They want an IQ of 149, according to an online test which isn't valid anyways I'm around 144.) Triple Nine only has about 980 members worldwide though so it's not like I'm missing out on world of social interaction.

At least if I am shitcanned from Mensa, there is always Tensa. It's all kind of irrelevant anyways. What would I get out of joining Mensa anyways? Maybe I'd meet Geena Davis or Alan Rachins. Mmmm...LA Law.

No comments:

Post a Comment