Friday, October 29, 2010

Final thoughts on Cat's Cradle

So, I did like this book. I just think I need to sit back and digest what I read. I was going to write a short synopsis of the book just so I could keep straight for myself what happens but I see Wikipedia has one that surpasses anything I could slap together. This is kind of interesting: Vonnegut used to work for GE interviewing scientists who did pure research so he could write interesting PR stories about what they were doing.

I'm unclear: did Felix Hoenikker commit suicide with ice-nine or did he accidentally ingest it. Also, poor doggie. Then again, poor everything. Also, so is Jonah going to climb Mt McCabe and follow the plan in Bokonon's final writing? Also, what was the story behind the stone angel that wasn't for sale? What was Jonah's last name? I guess it was supposed to be indicative of fate, the name didn't matter.

I had one final exchange I wanted to save. It's between Frank Jr. (NOW I know why he's a son of a bitch) and John after the ice-nine event:

"There was a time when I took people's sillly answers seriously. I'm past that now."
"A milestone."
"I've grown up a good deal."
"At a certain amount of expense to the world." I could say things like that to Frank with an absolute assurance that he would not hear them.
"There was a time when people could bluff me without much trouble because I didn't have much self-confidence in myself."
"The mere cutting down of the number of people on earth would go a long way toward alleviating your own particular social problems," I suggested. Again, I made the suggestion to a deaf man. 
"You tell me, you tell me who told those ants how to make water," he challenged me again.

So, there you go. Frank destroys the whole world not intentionally but just because he's a clueless fuck and is no wiser for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment