Friday, October 29, 2010

More great Vonnegut quotes

Where is this book going? What the hell is the point? I don't really know, but I am enjoying it. I expect to finish tonight or tomorrow but in the meantime, here are more lines worth preserving:

' "Where are you going, X-9?' "Frank echoed again.
.....
"They really would have been surprised if I'd stopped and told them where I was going." 
"You mean you had some premonition you'd end up here?"
"I was going to Jack's Hobby Shop," he said, with no sense of anticlimax.

(although he was going there to bang Jack's wife. The poor man was about the only person who really cared about Frank.)

[concerning the Christian priest at Papa's deathbed]
I asked him what particular Christian sect he represented, and I observed frankly that the chicken and the butcher knife were novelties insofar as my understanding of Christianity went. 
.....
He said that he had had to feel his way along with Christianity, since Catholicism and Protestantism had been outlawed along with Bokononism. 
"So, if I am going to be a Christian under those conditions, I have to make up a lot of new stuff."

Should I be at all distressed that it's one of the bad guys who says "Science is magic that works" ?

No comments:

Post a Comment