Monday, October 18, 2010

A great line from E. L Doctorow

So I just started reading Ragtime last night and I'm not very far. Dennis assured me that I should read it. I hatched this idea to read some of the books that seemed omnipresent on adult shelves when I was a young'un but for whatever reason never read. I was trying to make a more definitive list the other night but I went blank after Shogun (well, there's also Clan of the Cave Bear and The Thorn Birds but I don't really know if they were true literature or just zeitgeisty literary hiccups.)

Anyways, yes I should make that list. But in the meantime, speaking of precocious young people, here is a great description of Doctorow's young protagonist:

He had reached that age of knowledge and wisdom in a child when it is not expected by the adults around him and consequently goes unrecognized....He felt that the circumstances of his family's life operated against his need to see things and to go places.

I know JUST how you feel kid.

No comments:

Post a Comment