Thursday, January 13, 2011

What show exactly did Andy Kaufman get kicked off of?

I was listening to an old Lyrics Undercover podcast today about REM's "Man in the Moon", which btw might be one of my favorite songs ever. They mentioned Andy Kaufman being voted off of Saturday Night Live. This always confused me because I've heard at different times he was kicked off of either Fridays or SNL. I also have a dim memory of watching Gary Kroeger tell people to call in and vote and I only remember him being on SNL. I also remember this was back in high school or junior high and my friend Carla was sleeping over and she wanted to call in but we couldn't agree because she wanted to vote for him to be on SNL again while I thought his stupid Latka routine killed Taxi and I said vote him off. Shit, I didn't know he was going to die of a rare lung cancer shortly afterwards. Also, we ended up trying to pull the phone out of each others' hands and broke the jack so the question quickly became moot.

According to Wikipedia, it was indeed SNL. There was a blowup on Fridays about him breaking character in a sketch and getting into an on-air fight with a producer but that was staged. I remember that (although I didn't see the show-I never watched Fridays) but the voting incident occurred on SNL. I kind of remember now reading a history of SNL that mentioned it was a prank but a serious one. It hurt Andy's feelings when he was voted off but he abided by the vote although he did appear on tape one more time to thank the people who voted for him.

I'd really like to see his movie "My Breakfast with Blassie" (for some reason, my favorite part of the REM song is when Blassie is name-checked. I get a shiver.) It's one of those moments that make me wish I had Netflix. But, I am just not down with having to subscribe. I'm bummed out Blockbuster might not survive. Then again, they wouldn't have that flick anyways.

I also remember A&E had an old show that was taped at the Improv. Cindy Williams hosted it once which was kind of a surprise but she had a background in standup, particularly with Andy Kaufman. He used to do his routine in nightclubs and it was her job to stand up and mock him in a French accent. I found Kaufman annoying about half the time but that sounds hilarious.

No comments:

Post a Comment