Friday, August 12, 2011

Final thoughts and first and last for The Redbreast

There weren't a lot of memorable lines although there were memorable scenes, like the murder of one character-which I kind of like that Nesbo had the balls to leave unresolved. One of the killers is still a policeman. I really learned a lot about Norway, specifically how they are still dealing with WWII and Nazism which is of course relevant to helping understand current events, unfortunately. Would that Nazi shit were only a handy plot convention.

I wasn't sure if Harry Hole was really coming through to me as a character until he gets a call from a crying woman one night (it's never said but it must be Rakel although who knows, maybe people just do that in Norway) and he keeps her on the phone talking about a documentary he just watched on TV about a brother and sister who traveled the world. I knew then I liked him. Also, how guilty he felt at the end when the informer in South Africa received the death penalty after Hole promised him and his sister he'd help them in exchange for information and then didn't.

Anyways, as I said the lines are really memorable but here are first and last anyways:

First:

A grey bird glided in and out of Harry's field of vision.

Last:

Harry sighed, stuffed the newspaper under his arm and walked out into the shimmering afternoon heat.

No comments:

Post a Comment