Sunday, August 7, 2011

First and last for The Paris Wife

First:

Though I often looked for one, I finally had to admit that there could be no cure for Paris.

Last:

There was nothing Paul could possibly do for me except let me go--back to Paris and Pamplona and San Sebastian, back to Chicago when I was Hadley Richardson, a girl stepping off a train about to meet the man who could change her life. That girl, that impossibly lucky girl, needed nothing.

McLain mentions in her sources note in the appendix a number of books she used as research. Here are a few that might be worth looking into (I haven't looked anything up about these):

  • The Hemingway Women by Bernice Kert
  • Hadley: the First Mrs. Hemingway by Alice Hunt Sokoloff
  • The True Gen by Denis Brian
  • The Crazy Years by William Wiser
  • Paris Was Yesterday by Janet Flanner
  • Zelda by Nancy Milford

No comments:

Post a Comment