Friday, March 18, 2011

Another great part of The Likeness

Breathtakingly sad this book is. But it gives you a lot to think about. Also, Cassie's policeman boyfriend is SO boring.

After the thing is over (Daniel confessed, although I don't know for sure he did it, Cassie shot him, everyone knows she was a cop and hates her and Naylor has burned the house down- who needs metaphor when everything can literally go up in flames), Sam proposes which prompts this thought:

There's so little mercy in this world. Lexie sliced straight through everyone who got between her and the door, people she had laughed with, worked with, laid down with. Daniel, who loved her like his blood, sat beside her and watched her die, sooner than allow a siege on his spellbound castle. Frank took me by the shoulders and steered me straight into something that he knew could eat me alive. Whitethorn House let me into its secret chambers and healed my wounds, and in exchange I set my careful charges and I blew it to smithereens. Rob, my partner, my shieldmate, my closest friend, ripped me out of his life and threw me away because he wanted me to sleep with him and I did it. And when we had all finished clawing chunks off each other, Sam, who had every right to give me the finger and walk away for good, stayed because I held out my hand and asked him to.

No comments:

Post a Comment