Tuesday, March 15, 2011

A great line from The Likeness

Not sure if I like this as well as In the Woods but I do like it. Here's a line as Cassie contemplates her doppelganger whose "real" identity discovered by the FBI turned out to be fake as well:

No one, not my friends, not my relatives, not Sam or any guy, had ever hit me like this. I wanted to feel that fire rip through my bones, I wanted that gale sanding my skin clean, I wanted to know if that kind of freedom smelled like ozone or thunderstorms or gunpowder.

And later:

Sam's eyes were huge and dark as if I had hit him, and Frank was watching me in a way that made me think if I had any sense I'd be scared, but all I could feel was every muscle loosening like I was eight years old and cartwheeling myself dizzy on some green hillside, like I could dive a thousand miles through cool blue water without once needing to breath. I had been right: freedom smelled like ozone and thunderstorms and gunpowder all at once, like snow and bonfires and cut grass, it tasted like seawater and oranges.


Same thing as the last book, and yet different. You can pinpoint, especially in retrospect, the point where Cassie's loyalties shift. One decision to withhold evidence to protect Lexie, who is not even Lexie really. Then another to protect the housemates. She actively misleads the investigation. Soon she is having fantasies about spending Christmas in the house wrapping presents (the story takes place in the spring.) Does she want to find Lexie's killer or just disappear? I knew this wouldn't end well but I suspect it will end quite badly now. I wonder if Rob will re-surface?

No comments:

Post a Comment