Monday, March 7, 2011

Study in Pink versus Scarlet and personality disorders unbound

I watched the first episode of the BBC's excellent Sherlock series last night. I can't say I'm a connoisseur of Holmes adaptations but I'd call this one at least one of the best ever.

I want to list some of the similarities and differences between the Scarlet and Pink versions while they are fresh in my mind:

  • Rache=revenge in Scarlet, Rachel in Pink (funny inside joke where he mocks an ME who postulates it's German too)
  • Scarlet thread of murder running through life versus... a woman who wears a lot of pink
  • Watson is returning from Afghanistan and needs a place to stay in both. Nice add of the cell phone clues to his background (and it was his sister. So funny.)
  • I like the bromance and how everyone thinks they are a couple. Even Holmes at one point thinks Watson is hitting on him.
  • Both killer are cabbies who kill with poison
  • No Mormons this time. I guess they take enough of a beating over Big Love
  • Much better showdown with the killer in the Pink version both on Holmes and Watson's parts
  • Holmes writes a newspaper article on science of deduction but the update naturally turns it into a blog
  • No Mormons means no Utah backstory. Hooray.
  • Both killers have aneurysms. 
  • Lestrade is likable here, more so than in the book although he's not really unlikable in the book either. Apparently, they cobbled him together from slightly different portrayals in the canon. 
  • What? No Gregson?
  • More victims. No revenge motive. Just the random fuckery of a personality disorder with too many IQ points

BTW, Holmes has this great line, "I'm not a psychopath. I'm a high-functioning sociopath. Do your research." After I laughed, I thought wait-what's the difference? Turns out no one is really definite. A lot of it sounds like a sociopath is more prone to be what they call (or used to call) a disorganized offender, someone who is impulsive, sloppy and prone to being caught quickly. Whereas a psychopath is an organized offender. They are both Antisocial Personality Disorders and some are in favor of eliminating the distinction. Some also say a sociopath is more a product of a poor environment whereas a psychopath's problem is pathology, like something squirrelly with their amygdalas. Anyways, Holmes seems much more like a psychopath than a sociopath to me. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

No comments:

Post a Comment