Thursday, May 26, 2011

The Pale Wallace

I keep contemplating reading David Foster Wallace. What keeps me from doing it is both the size of Infinite Jest and the way hipster asshats name check him. What if, for example, he were another Don DeLillo? (<--mad overrated hipster douchetard.)

I read the EW review of his posthumous novel The Pale King by Rob Brunner who really liked it. After reading this excerpt, I'm kind of intrigued as I too work a sometimes dreary job in a deadly dull industry:


"Enduring tedium over real time in a confined space is what real courage is....Routine, repetition, tedium, monotony, ephemeracy, inconsequence, abstraction, disorder, boredom, angst, ennui-these are the true hero's enemies, and make no mistake, they are fearsome indeed. For they are real."

Thanks, DFW, for giving me a reason to think I'm awesome because my job is lame. 

No comments:

Post a Comment