Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Picasso and Marie Therese

So according to the Leonard Lopate Show there is a new Picasso exhibit in NYC. It's kind of unusual because it's at a gallery rather than a museum. Picasso's family assisted in the curation.The theme of the show is Picasso's one-time muse, Marie Therese. He approached her on a Paris street when she was 17 and asked if he could paint her. She didn't know who he was.

Picasso isn't one of my favorite painters. I'm not super jazzed about cubism for the most part. I like his blue period much better. I was curious about Marie Therese though. Here is probably one of his most famous paintings of her:


The image on the left is Marie Therese. Here is some more info about her. These images have never been assembled and shown this way. There are also some rare photographs of her. I like this painting here, softer than his usual stuff. It reminds me a bit of Tamara Lempicka.

No comments:

Post a Comment