Sunday, July 17, 2011

First and last for The Postman Always Rings Twice

Now that I've finally read the book, Jack Nicholson was not right for that role (in the Bob Rafelson movie. Bob had worked with Jack a few times by that point though so it makes sense.) And I understand the weird lion tamer cameo (never really explained) by Anjelica Houston. One of those books that looks simple but would be hard to write. I'd like to read Mildred Pierce at some point.

I agree with Cora that I could not go tramping about the country like Frank. Was this supposed to be set in the 1920's like the Ruth Snyder case or around the time Cain wrote it (1934) which would have made a big difference. I wonder if it was before because Frank sure had no trouble finding a decent job in what would have been Depression-era California.  This of course doesn't mean I sympathize with Cora but it is sad that the moment they decide to go straight, the wheel of karma rolls over them both. Then again, would they really have mended their ways or would the baby just have grown up with two people who are always either fighting, fucking or plotting each other's demise.

First line:

They threw me off the hay truck about noon.

Last:

Here they come. Father McConnell says prayers help. If you've got this far, send up one for me, and Cora, and make it that we're together, wherever it is.

No comments:

Post a Comment