Thursday, July 7, 2011

More Bell Jar

I really liked the first half of this book--Esther in NYC, Esther adrift with her ambition and ambivalence. Things start to go downhill when she gets home and her depression really settles in. I got she's depressed but the suicide attempts came out of nowhere. Maybe Sylvia Plath felt that way as well.

It's less beguiling but there are still passages that really hit home with her mental state:

My mother told me I should be grateful. She said I had used up almost all her money and if it weren't for Mrs. Guinea she didn't know where I'd be...I knew I should be grateful to Mrs. Guinea, only I couldn't feel a thing. If Mrs. Guinea had given me a ticket to Europe, or a round-the-world cruise, it wouldn't have made one scrap of difference to me, because wherever I sat-on the deck of a ship or at a street cafe in Paris or Bangkok-I would be sitting under the same glass bell jar, stewing in my own sour air.

No comments:

Post a Comment