Friday, July 8, 2011

Poem of the day-Terrance Hayes

Today's poem is from Terrance Hayes (b. 1971.) Poetry Found doesn't have much to say about him. He's from South Carolina originally and teaches creative writing at Carnegie Mellon. I would be about 5000 times more interested in his class after reading this poem.

Why I like it: it's always dicey (for me) to read about sex and romance in poetry. It gets too....goopy and mopey-eyed. But put that sex and romance inside a gay boy bar and now you've got my attention. Other than my love for all things homosexual and male, I like the unexpected juxtaposition of his childhood memory.

(I'll admit though I can't decide if the wet and holy bit at the end is a bit too uncomfortable and I'm not sure why. Too vivid? Those words don't belong together? But that's also part of what makes it great.)

At Pegasus

By Terrance Hayes
They are like those crazy women
    who tore Orpheus
            when he refused to sing,

these men grinding
    in the strobe & black lights
            of Pegasus. All shadow & sound.

“I’m just here for the music,”
    I tell the man who asks me
            to the floor. But I have held

a boy on my back before.
    Curtis & I used to leap
            barefoot into the creek; dance

among maggots & piss,
    beer bottles & tadpoles
            slippery as sperm;

we used to pull off our shirts
    & slap music into our skin.
            He wouldn’t know me now

at the edge of these lovers’ gyre,
    glitter & steam, fire,
            bodies blurred sexless

by the music’s spinning light.
    A young man slips his thumb
            into the mouth of an old one,

& I am not that far away.
    The whole scene raw & delicate
            as Curtis’s foot gashed

on a sunken bottle shard.
    They press hip to hip,
            each breathless as a boy

carrying a friend on his back.
    The foot swelling green
            as the sewage in that creek.

We never went back.
    But I remember his weight
            better than I remember

my first kiss.
    These men know something
            I used to know.

How could I not find them
    beautiful, the way they dive & spill
            into each other,

the way the dance floor
    takes them,
            wet & holy in its mouth.

No comments:

Post a Comment