Saturday, July 2, 2011

Great lines from I Kill Giants

I don't normally do this for graphic novels because it's obviously kind of a package deal. But having just read and LOVED I Kill Giants, I wanted to preserve some of the wisdom of the great Barbara Thorson, fifth grader, misanthrope and giant slayer. And since it's a graphic novel, that's only half metaphorical.

To the motivational speaker brought in on career day:

"I find giants. I hunt giants. I kill giants. So you'll forgive me if 'motivating' a room full of losers with no self-esteem out of their hard earned money doesn't hold much interest."

Barbara and her principal on this incident:

{Principal}: "So can you tell me in twenty words or less why you were rude in class?"
"I wasn't. I was reading quietly until Ms. Dean asked me a question and then I answered it politely. Nineteen."
"Nineteen what?"
"Words. Following directions is the key to success."
"You need to fly right, Barbara. Stop talking back to your teacher and enough with the 'giant killing' nonsense or we start calling home."
" 'Nonsense'. With respect, Principal Marx..Until you've actually fought a giant...until you've looked into its eyes and seen the horrors that crawl behind them..until you've plunged your broadsword into their arteries and felt the hot wet spray of victory wash over you, intoxicated by the steaming perfume of spilled entrails.. you really have no right to judge me."

Barbara explaining the lore of her giant-killing hammer to Sophia:

"With this..the finest war hammer ever made, forged from a fragment of bone from the jaw of Ur himself..the Thunder-Maker, the Light Bringer. Coveleski the Giant Slayer."
"Your war hammer is Polish?"
"Ha! No, I named it that. Weapons of great renown have to have a name."

Barbara to the school bully:

"You should stop now."
"Or what psycho?"
"I will unleash a terrible fury.. and do things to you that will make God cry."

The sequence with the giant. Oh so good. I pretty much bawled my eyes out from there to the end. I must immediately read the back catalogues of Joe Kelly (JLA and Green Lantern for DC, Deadpool for Marvel) and JM Ken Niimura (all I see is a book on Manga in Spanish so uhm, maybe just Joe Kelly for now.)

No comments:

Post a Comment